• Question: Did you want to become a scientist when you were young ?

Asked by Anjali to Christl, Claire, Devon, Dmitry, Heather, Krishma, Laura, Richard, Thomas, Tim.S, Michael, Sarah, Katie, Jennifer, Jonathan, Ollie, Omar, Rebecca, Rebecca, Tim.M on 22 Jan 2018. This question was also asked by 556cara48, Zeny, Eloise.
    • Photo: Christl Donnelly

Christl Donnelly answered on 22 Jan 2018:

Yes, a biologist. I was inspired by programmes like those made by David Attenborough. When I was a kid, it was Jacques Cousteau making inspiring programmes shown in the US.

• Photo: Dmitry Dereshev

Dmitry Dereshev answered on 22 Jan 2018:

Nope, I didn’t even think about careers all the way until the final year of my undergraduate degree. I was interested in science and technology since early childhood, sure, but turning that into a career didn’t occur to me until much later.

• Photo: Tim Stephens

Tim Stephens answered on 23 Jan 2018:

Kind-of. I thought that I wanted to be a meteorologist (a weatherman), and discovered that the way to be able to do that was to study Physics. Once I was at university, I realised that I was more interested in light and lasers, and that’s where my career has taken me.

• Photo: Claire Inness

Claire Inness answered on 29 Jan 2018:

In primary school I wanted to be a doctor or an architect. When it came to choosing GCSEs it was either doctor or marine biologist (I’d realised architecture needs a lot more maths than I was happy with). So I guess the answer is “yes”, but it’s never too late to change your mind.

• Photo: Rebecca Dewey

Rebecca Dewey answered on 5 Feb 2018:

Yes, I did. probably from about 8 years old I knew that was what I wanted to be. I kept changing my mind about what area of science I wanted to end up in, but it was always science!

• Photo: Sarah Finnegan

Sarah Finnegan answered on 6 Feb 2018:

I don’t think I really thought about what I wanted to do! I didn’t really understand what it meant to be a scientist until I was working on my Masters research project. I just kept choosing options that I thought were interesting and the rest took care of itself!