“Miss? Sir? What’s the point in doing science?”
Student knowledge about the realities of work, especially for STEM careers, can be pretty low. Careers Zone helps answer this common question.
Careers Zone also helps schools meet most of the Gatsby Benchmarks for Good Careers Guidance, e.g.
- A stable careers programme
- Learning from career and labour market information
- Addressing the needs of each pupil
Find out more about Links to the Gatsby Good Careers Guidance Benchmarks.
Real people, real STEM careers
Giving your students access to the site provides them with:
- year round authentic careers information and guidance from 100+ real STEM professionals
- a wide range of suggested jobs in science and engineering matched to their own interests — it’s not all lab coats and hard hats
- encouragement and confidence to choose science subjects after GCSE
It provided a brilliant opportunity for the children to discuss and explore what they could do in their future… They finished the session very inspired and are still talking about the experience.
Free to access
Careers Zone is available to students who have taken part in I’m a Scientist or I’m an Engineer and whose schools meet at least one of the following criteria:
- NCOP school
- taking part in a zone funded by STFC
- taking part in a zone funded by UK Space Agency
- a UK primary school
- a DEIS school in Ireland
How it works
1.Register for a Careers Zone profile
Use the Join Zone button in your invite email or contact email@example.com to request a profile and see if your school is eligible.
2. Book a 30 minute chat at a time to suit your class
Available scientists and engineers are notified and sign up to attend
Note: Ask IT to check and whitelist these sites ASAP
3. Download instruction slides sent to you
Explaining to students how to use the site
4. Give your students their own profiles using registration link
Can be used before and after CHAT/from home to explore Careers Zone
5. On day of CHAT, students log in and start chatting to available STEM professionals
Note: The CHAT is ‘self-moderated’. That is, you as the teacher are able to moderate the chat messages, blocking and deleting if needed. You can still contact us if there are problems with the CHAT.
6. Students can keep using their Careers Zone profile
Whenever they want to read about more jobs and send in more questions through STEM professionals’ profiles