• Question: when did you become interested in this and why?

Asked by olb17 to Stuart, Shruti, Nicola, Nathan, Liza, Ejay, Dmitry, Devon, Christopher, Amit, Yannis, Stacey, Simone, Sandra, Peter, Padraic, Miriam, Meirin, Laura, K-Jo, Kathryn, Hugh, Emmanuel, Daniel, Ali, Aisling, Aileen on 20 Sep 2019. This question was also asked by jj36p9575.
    • Photo: Dmitry Dereshev

Dmitry Dereshev answered on 20 Sep 2019:

tl;dr: it started with video games, and I just kept following my dreams 🙂

My career progressed from interest in video games, so I was initially interested when I was 4 years old 😀 Video games were fun, and computers were new and magical to me.

Then I was generally interested in sciences, so that’s what I picked in school. My parents bought me a lot of encyclopedias, so I was always surrounded by ideas in technology and sciences.

When I had to choose a subject to study at university, I picked maths (even though I didn’t do that well at it at school). Maths was what connected all the sciences, and I coulnd’t decide which science to pick.

Then I worked for a year at IBM, and they were launching artificial intelligence things (maybe you’ve heard of Watson computer which outplayed champions in Jeopardy!). I connected that to how good or bad AI was in video games, and started reading books about artificial intelligence.

I liked the science fiction idea of people talking to robots, but there wasn’t anything like that in real life apart from Siri at the time, so I applied for a PhD in computer science to study talking robots and the like.

Now I have skills in computer programming, artificial intelligence, and human-robot interaction design. I am using those to teach computers to guess things, for example, guessing the author of the book from the text of that book.

• Photo: Shruti Turner

Shruti Turner answered on 4 Nov 2019:

It wasn’t really until my Masters degree, aged about 22, that I really got interested in prosthetics. I always like engineering, physics and maths at school and so did an Aerospace Engineering degree at University. I realised that wasn’t really for me as I wanted to more directly help people. I also got my own joint problems so became interested in biomechanics so did a Bioengineering Masters. It was during that course I did a module in Prosthetics and it just clicked!

• Photo: Nicola Asker

Nicola Asker answered on 12 Mar 2020:

I became interested in the energy industry while I was at University as it is so important to people’s daily lives and has a wide range of engineering challenges involved.

• Photo: Miriam Hogg

Miriam Hogg answered on 12 Mar 2020:

Hi, i’m a bit late answering this but I hope it helps either way!

So I was always interested in space. When I was young my dad used to get the ‘New Scientist’ magazine which I would read, if I didn’t understand something I could ask my dad, and if he didn’t understand I would google it.
      When I was in my GCSE’s I got the chance to do an astronomy GCSE which I really loved.
      I was also interested in computer science, specifically CGI in games and movies. But it turned out I was better at physics than coding so I did astrophysics at university (and learned to code anyway!)

I’m not sure why I was interested exactly. I think it’s because there are so many unanswered questions and mysteries in physics, and some truly beautiful things to see 🙂